Skip to main content

Graduate/Professional Schools: Financing Graduate School

A resource guide for exploring graduate and professional schools.

Print Resource Locations


Reference collection, 1st floor


Circulating stacks, 2nd - 3rd floor:
A-B  2nd floor
C-Z  3rd floor


Current issues, 2nd floor north
Bound/Back issues, 2nd floor south

Interlibrary Loan (ILL)

Looking for a book that is not in the library catalog?  The library will attempt to get a copy for you.

See the library website for more information on Interlibrary Loan policies and procedures.

Interlibrary Loan Request Form

Financing Graduate School

Use the links provided to access library catalog records for print materials.  Links noted as "eBook" will take you directly to the electronic content.

REF (reference) materials are located on the 1st floor of the library.

Subject Guide

Chris  Bishop's picture
Chris Bishop
Chris Bishop, MLS
M-F 8:30-5:00 p.m.
Library 2nd Floor
Call or Email for Appt/Reference/Instruction



Ask at the Circulation Desk on the first floor of the library.

$$$ for Graduate/Professional School

Many graduate students finance their studies by obtaining graduate assistantships or fellowships.  Typically, both assistantships and fellowships are highly competitive and recipients tend to have high undergraduate GPAs and graduate examination scores, write strong personal statements, and have excellent references.

Assistantships are typically offered by the admitting institution and often take the form of either a TA (teaching assistant) or RA (research assistant).  Most assistantships cover tuition costs and pay a variable stipend in exchange for work provided.  Most graduate program websites contain detailed information about the types of assistantships offered. 

In contrast, fellowships typically do not have work requirements and may be either portable (not tied to the college/university) or institutional. provides a very informative article on graduate fellowships.