Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
The library welcomes Marian University alumni to visit the library space and view items in the library. There is currently not a program in place for alumni to check out library materials, but our staff will work with alumni to utilize their local interlibrary loan services when possible. Questions about alumni access can be directed to the Office of Alumni and Parent Engagement.
Indianapolis and Surrounding Areas--Public Libraries
Public Use of the Library
While Marian University is a private institution, use of Mother Theresa Hackelmeier Memorial Library and its resources among the general public or non-Marian University affiliated persons is open, with some stipulations.
- Users are welcome to enter the building during normal business hours with the exception of after 8 p.m. during the semesters, for safety and security reasons.
- Use of our physical items within the building is permitted; however, we do not lend items to the general public without an Interlibrary Loan request originating from their home library.
- One exception is granted for those possessing previously issued Catholic Identity Collection cards; while the collection has been integrated within our general collection, the cards are still honored. We no longer issue these cards.
ALI Library Reciprocal Borrowing Program
Academic Libraries of Indiana (ALI) Reciprocal Borrowing Program
- The Academic Libraries of Indiana (ALI) agree to extend in-person borrowing privileges to faculty, staff, and students of member institutions. This is a cooperative onsite borrowing agreement among the participating members of ALI.
- To participate, the borrower needs a signed ALI Borrowers Card from the home institution library, campus identification, and a photo ID with a current address, such as a driver's license.
Eligibility: Faculty, Staff, Students
- Currently employed faculty, staff and currently enrolled students in good standing may be granted borrowing privileges at participating libraries by obtaining a signed ALI Borrowers Card from the home library. The home library has final authority to issue or deny this privilege and determines the expiration date on the ALI Borrowers Card. (Marian University--one year from date of issue, or June 30th of the calendar year)
- The library staff member issuing the ALI Borrowers Card will verify eligibility and make certain that the borrower's home library account is not delinquent.
Instructions for Marian Students, Faculty and Staff
Materials Available for Onsite Loan
- Borrowing privileges are determined by each lending (host) library which may provide shorter or different loan periods from those available at the individual's home library. Other restrictions may also apply.
- Borrowers are subject to the rules and regulations of the lending library and are responsible for knowing and observing these rules.
- Borrowers must present the lending library with a valid, current ALI Borrowers Card issued by the home institution, campus identification, and a photo ID with a current address. Some lending libraries may issue an additional borrowers card.
- Borrowers are responsible for the safe and timely return of materials to the lending library. Borrowers may return items via their home institution's INFO Express courier service, but they are responsible for any overdue charges incurred.
- Borrowers should report lost or damaged materials to the library from which the item was borrowed.
- Borrowers are responsible for all financial obligations incurred at the lending library. Failure to receive notification does not absolve borrowers of library obligations.
- Borrowers are responsible for supplying a current mailing address to the lending library.
Last Reviewed: 08/2021